USC will nominate two international students for the 2013 Phi Beta Kappa Alumni Association International Scholarship. The nominated students will be expected to complete their studies in 2013 – 2014. The award is for $1,500.
Students are asked to return the completed application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, May 6, 2013. Faculty recommenders may send their form and/or letter via email to email@example.com by Monday, May 6, 2013.
When preparing the application, students should keep in mind the following criteria:
- The award is intended for foreign students completing their graduate work. Students are only eligible for one award.
- Awardees are expected to be returning to their home countries, preferably just after completing the degree. However, postdoctoral study, especially where it is expected for the study to be “finished” and/or is unobtainable in the home country, has always been an area where some latitude has been permitted. It is also recognized that political or economic conditions may prevent the student from returning home.
- Awardees must have both academic excellence and significant need.
- Awardees must be fully enrolled to receive their scholarships. (Proof of enrollment is required to get the checks.)
- Awardees are not limited to persons who come from underdeveloped or developing countries.
- Awards are to be made without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, age or creed.
The “Statement Regarding Awards,” on the Phi Beta Kappa Alumni Association website provides a general description of the scholarship. To reach the site, go to <http://www.pbksocalalumni.com>, then to “Scholars and Scholarships,” then “International Scholarships.”